A flood, or even a significant water leak, can cause considerable damage to your home, as can the leaking of sewage. None of these incidents are pleasant and they can all be very stressful. Cleaning up after you have suffered any of these problems needs to be done as soon as possible. There are many potential health problems that can arise from living in a home damaged by contaminated water. Even clean water can cause mold to form when it leaks into your home.
The easiest way to return your home to its pre-damage state is to contact sewage damage clean-up New Jersey. These cleaning professionals can help after you have suffered any type of water damage to your home. Often they can also liaise with your insurance company which takes a lot of pressure off your shoulders at a difficult time.
Why is cleaning up quickly so important?
The most important reason for cleaning up quickly after water damage is the potential health impacts of not doing so. One of the worst problems you can have is a sewage leak. Coming into contact with sewage can cause serious health problems and has even been known to lead to death on occasion. Some of the bacteria which are found in sewage, and the issues they can cause, are:
- Coli – This causes stomach problems and diarrhea. It is potentially fatal.
- Acanthomoeba – This can cause cold like symptoms and ear infections.
- Salmonella – This can cause stomach cramps and diarrhea.
- Heliobacter Pylpri – This can increase the likelihood of you developing an ulcer.
- Hepatitis – This can cause liver problems.
- Leptospirosis – This can cause your muscles to ache and make you vomit.
It’s not just contaminated sewage that can cause problems though; mold can develop in as little as twelve hours if you have a water leak or flood in your home. Not everyone is affected by mold but it has been linked with upper respiratory tract problems in many people. If you are exposed to mold for a significant length of time then you may find yourself wheezing and struggling to catch your breath.
What other actions need to be taken?
After you have suffered a flood, leak or sewage issue in your home you need to make sure that the electricity is safe. The power should be kept off in any room where water is present. Once the water has been disposed of the electrics need to be left to dry out, and tested by an electrician, before the power is turned back on. Items that have been contaminated with sewage should be safely disposed of. Items which have already started to develop mold can be dried and the mold removed, depending on how bad the damage is. It is best to leave all of this cleaning and disposal to professional who can make sure the job is done safely and efficiently.